HP Forums
Moving programs between HP-41's - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Moving programs between HP-41's (/thread-98418.html)

Moving programs between HP-41's - Palmer O. Hanson, Jr. - 08-26-2006

This must be a simple question for an experienced HP-41 user, but the answer has escaped me so far. How do I move a program. from one HP-41 to another if I don't have a card reader? It seems to me I should be able to do that by moving a memory module from one machine to the next but I haven't figured out how to do it.

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - Karl-Ludwig Butte - 08-26-2006

Hello,

as far as I know memory modules (which are not flash memory) loose their contents when pulled out of the 41.

There's another method that works for sure: Printing barcode with a 82162A Thermal Printer and reading the barcode with the optical wand.

If you have access to a HP-IL-module and a digital cassette drive or a IL-floppy-drive you can use theese for the transfer.

But all these methods need even more hardware than a cardreader. Is the program you'd like to transfer that long, so that you can't simply type it in ?

Well, sorry I don't have a better answer for you but I hope it helped anyway.

Kind regards

Karl

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - Vieira, Luiz C. (Brazil) - 08-26-2006

Hi, Palmer;

The card reader is one of the possible ways. The X-functions with X-memory is also a way to do this. If you have a CX, then you must use X-memory modules, but you need to be carefull, because programs must not be split into the first part of the X-memory, that is resident in the X-functions, and the X-memory module.

HEPAX is another possibility. The HPIL with an external media is also handy.

About available new technology: Meindert´s MLDL2000, Diego´s Clonix/NoVram/NoV32.

I donot remember other possibilities, but it does not mean they do not exist.

Others will post, for sure...

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)_

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - David Smith - 08-26-2006

Bite the bullet, go to Ebay, buy a reader and cards, rebuild the wheel, enjoy.

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - Chris Roccati - 08-26-2006

As weird as it may sound there's no easy way. You need some kind of hardware connection, be it the card reader or the HP-IL with some mass storage device...

If the calcs are BOTH CV or C version, you can get by with a slightly modified X-MEM module: adding a small capacitor allows the content of the module to survive the removal from one calculator long enough to plug it in the other...

I assume that modern hardware expansions, like the MLDL2K or the NoVram, can also be used as both of them are non volatile and do work with both the C, CV and CX, but I'm not sure about the details...

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - kevin - 08-26-2006

I'm curious about the Diego Clonix or other option which using Non-volitable RAM. Is it possible to buy these things anywhere? Or is this a a science project that you have to build yourself. ;-) Someone gave me a soldering iron for Christmas but I've never used it... ;-)

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - Karl Schneider - 08-26-2006

Hi, Palmer and Luiz --

Quick-swapping the X-Functions module between one HP-41C/CV to another has worked very well for me. Simply copy the program as a Program file to the X-Functions module, then quickly insert it into the receiving C/CV after removing it from the sending C/CV. (The data will be lost from the X-Functions module if de-powered for more than a second.) The program will be limited in size to 124 registers of extended memory, which allows a 122-register program and "pre-pended" 2-register header.

I have tried quick-swapping an X-Memory module containing a program from a C/CV with installed X-Functions module to a CX. I filled the first 124 registers of Extended Memory -- no more, no less -- on both calculators with "junk", so that the program to be exchanged began at the start of memory on the X-Memory module. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

I have two HP-41 HP-IL modules, and have wondered if it were possible to exchange data directly between two HP-41's by installing an HP-IL in each calculator, and connecting the HP-IL's back-to-back. Does anyone know for sure?

In summary, the "X-Functions module" solution is cheapest and easiest, providing that you're not dealing with an HP-41CX and that a limit of 122 registers is sufficient. Else, a rebuilt card reader is the best option.

Ebay seller "plasmoid" does fine work rebuilding customer-provided card readers, and also sells rebuilt readers.

Regards,

-- KS

Edited: 26 Aug 2006, 3:18 p.m.

HI, Karl; thank you for your additional info.

Quote:
I have tried quick-swapping an X-Memory module containing a program from a C/CV with installed X-Functions module to a CX. I filled the first 124 registers of Extended Memory -- no more, no less -- on both calculators with "junk", so that the program to be exchanged began at the start of memory on the X-Memory module. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me.
I once tried the same procedure with two HP41CX and I used data files instead of program files. I'll do that again because I have the feeling of having succeeded. I once tried simply inserting a new module with data and did not succeed as well, so I thought maybe the 'receiving' CX should be seeing the full extent of available X-memory prior to swap modules, so I considered having one memory module in each CX to swap. Anyway, I'll do that again because I remember reasoning about this, but I am not so sure if I actually performed such maneuver.

Quote:
I have two HP-41 HP-IL modules, and have wondered if it were possible to exchange data directly between two HP-41's by installing an HP-IL in each calculator, and connecting the HP-IL's back-to-back. Does anyone know for sure?
This one I can tell for sure 8^) I once connected the HP41 and an HP71B, both alone in the same loop. I configured the HP71B as a listener, and the HP41 was able to 'see' the HP71 in the loop. It happens that there should be only one controler in an IL loop, and the HP41 cannot be configured as a listener (neither can the HP75), so I cannot see a way of having more than one HP41 in a loop.

And for the records: I agree with you, the X-Functions/Memory module is, indeed, a cheap way to transfer programs from one HP41 to another. But consider that a Diego's NoVRAM can be configured as a 16KRAM HEPAX with many of the system-related X-Functions available, and you can even use the remaining 8KFlash to retain either one 8KROM or two 4KROM images. And you can swap the NoVRAM without worrying about loosing user data, it has FLASH memory, instead. As a happy NoVRAM user, I can tell you that, comparing costs and functionality, Diego's NoVRAM maybe even cheaper...

Best regards.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 26 Aug 2006, 3:48 p.m.

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - Ronald - 08-26-2006

Hi,

Use an X-function module that you midfied bu addind a small tantalium condensatore over the + and - connection of the module.
In other threads you can find info on how to open the module and on which 2 contactpoints to solder the Tantaal. I think 1 - 5 microfarad should be enough for a relaxed swapping of the mudule to the other 41.

Succes

Ronald

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - kevin - 08-26-2006

How can you buy the NoVRAM Diego Module and how much does it cost?

Hi, Kevin;

Try here!

Diego can be contacted through

sulaco[twothousand]{at}hotmail{dot}com

Replace the [twothousand] to 2000 as is. And both {at} and {dot} to the corresponding, well known symbols. This is just to avoid Spam...

Diego lives in the Canary Islands, but it seems to me he is still travelling for these days.

Best regards.

Luiz (Brazil)

Edited: 26 Aug 2006, 5:40 p.m.

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - kevin - 08-27-2006

Here is an interesting article that I happened to stumble across:

http://www.hpcc.org/datafile/hp41/HP41RS232.doc

Kevin

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - Kiyoshi Akima - 08-28-2006

Long before the IL came out, we had a 41 hooked up to a disk drive. Sending data out of the 41 was easy--if all else fails, you could print and reassemble the dots. Putting data into the 41 was a little harder--we ended up with a flashing LED connected to the wand.

I didn't say it was a fast hookup to a disk drive. And, before you ask, no I don't have any of the hardware, software, or schematics anymore.

Sorry this doesn't help...

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - Dia C. Tran - 08-28-2006

Now that we could take the data out of the 41 via the IR printer module, a 48 for capture then send the text to a PC etc..
Now if I have the program on the PC how could you go about flashing LED into the wand?

Re: Moving programs between HP-41's - Christoph Klug - 08-29-2006

Dear HP41 enthusiasts,

if you have the IL-Module plus the HP-Il/PC interface card available - than it is possible to transfer programms and data to EMU41 and read them back to the second HP41.

Alternatively it is possible to exchange data and programms between two HP41 by using HP-Il plus HP-IL/PS232 converter...

Regards - Christoph Klug