HP Forums
Interested finding the value of an expanded HP48G? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Interested finding the value of an expanded HP48G? (/thread-85808.html)

Interested finding the value of an expanded HP48G? - Han - 01-18-2006

A while back, I posted about expanded units and how much they would be worth. So at the suggestion of another forum member, I've placed one on eBay. The auction is here.

I thought some of you might be interested in tracking the prices along with me.

Edited: 18 Jan 2006, 12:54 a.m.

Re: Interested finding the value of an expanded HP48G? - Howard Owen - 01-18-2006

You reference "extra photos" but none are included in the auction.

Re: Interested finding the value of an expanded HP48G? - Han - 01-18-2006

It's a link. Click on it to view the photos.

Re: Interested finding the value of an expanded HP48G? - Thomas Radtke - 01-18-2006

Han,

you mention in the auction text that you're interested to learn about the value of your modified 48G's mainly to collectors. I wonder if there is interest in it at all (as a collectable that is). I mean, being of very invasive nature, that modification is one-way.

Btw., I tend to see the moderate memory capacity of the 'G' as a big plus (faster garbage collection, probably longer battery life) and would rather pick up a 'G+' where 128KiB is needed. For more memory, a GX seems to be optimal.

No offense intended, of course!

Peace:) -Thomas

Re: Interested finding the value of an expanded HP48G? - Han - 01-18-2006

Quote:
Han,

you mention in the auction text that you're interested to learn about the value of your modified 48G's mainly to collectors. I wonder if there is interest in it at all (as a collectable that is). I mean, being of very invasive nature, that modification is one-way.

To clarify, I am interested in the value of an expanded unit among collectors. However, I also hope that other HP48 enthusiasts (not necessarily collectors, but people who use the HP48 often) will help determine the value of such a unit.

It is true that the modification is indeed invasive. One might say that there are at least two types of collectors: one who not only knows about the collectibles, but also all the variants, and one who simply collects unmodified units. Having read many of the posts and ads here, I would wager that many HP enthusiasts have a fair, if not exceptionally good, understanding of the steps involved in the modifications. So as far as informed buyers are concerned, these enthusiasts are probably most qualified to determine the price.

You bring up a good point though -- just how much or how little interest is there for a modified unit? I guess this is what the auction will help determine =)

Quote:
Btw., I tend to see the moderate memory capacity of the 'G' as a big plus (faster garbage collection, probably longer battery life) and would rather pick up a 'G+' where 128KiB is needed. For more memory, a GX seems to be optimal.

No offense intended, of course!

Peace:) -Thomas

None taken =) Regarding the HP48G's default memory -- I find it simply inadequate. It is true that the garbage collection is faster, and the HP48G is generally faster overall than the G+/GX since there are no extra ports to check, among other reasons. Though for me, even the G+ is not enough (from a programmer's point of view -- no absolute address programming for extra speed, as an example).

Regarding battery life, there are many chips out there today that are much power efficient than the ones used back in the production days of the HP48. While an expanded memory may use extra battery power for the extra RAM module, it may still be much less power consumption than an unmodified 48GX using the older memory chips in its main memory and in its expansion cards.

My personal opinion is that the G+ should have been given not only the 128kB main memory, but also an extra 128kB module for port 1. This is a much better middle ground. Give the G 128kB of main memory, G+ 128kB of main memory + 128kB for port 1, and GX leave it as we know it.

And while it is true that the GX is the best option, cost also comes into play. The cost of a GX and a RAM card for port 1 can range from $200 (total package) to even as much as $350.

Re: Interested finding the value of an expanded HP48G? - Dia C. Tran - 01-26-2006

Well we found out didn't we? It's not worth very much isn't it?