HP Forums
Thermal paper for HP printers - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Thermal paper for HP printers (/thread-3130.html)

Thermal paper for HP printers - Jan H. Bos - 01-02-2000

As almost everybody is low on thermal paper rolls, can there be an alternativ? Thermal fax paper works, but it does not come in the right reel size. Being a paper engineer, I might be able to solve this problem, but what are you guy's prepared to pay per roll?Regards, Jan

Re: Thermal paper for HP printers - Reinhard Hawel - 01-02-2000

I don't really understand what's the difference between the HP67/97s paper, fax paper and the newer 82240Bs paper.

Electrical resistance maybe ? Surely the chemicals used for the "thermal" side of the paper will be different somehow.

I don't know what I'd pay because I'd mainly need one package (maybe 6 rolls) for the collection.

I don't really use the old calcs for calculating (sorry collectors). I use a HP-48 for everyday use.

First it would be of interest how much paper would be needed, because you'd have to calculate a price. I believe this would be a better question.

I doubt the customers could really guess the price af such an article. I, coming from the electronics/communications business, couldn't even guess, if I knew the amount.

Calculate it for lets say 100, 500 and 1000 rolls and you will see for yourself how much it would cost and if it would pay for anyone. Price might be ok, when it's just "sawing" some larger rolls into pieces, it might not, if you need to develop some new chemicals to rebuild the thermal paper. You're the expert.

A price range would be o.k., I'd think.

Personally, I think this is a great idea. Thanks for the offer.

Re: Thermal paper for HP printers - Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina) - 01-03-2000

The difference between thermal papers may be related to the temperature (or heat) and time requiered for the chemical reaction that changes the color. Other issues may be long-term stability and color (blue or black) of activated dots. I think there was an HP Journal issue in which one of the large desktop calculators was described; and in the same issue there was an article describing the thermal printer for that model. It was very interesting, since it used a large, stationary resistor array; and the article discusses the heat quantities, timing, etc. needed for the chemical reaction. it also explains the chemical issues. I am not sure if the article belongs to the 9810/9820/9830 series (around 1974?) or to the 9845 model (around 1977?). In any case. most of the concepts should be the same as today!

Re: Thermal paper for HP printers - Erik Wahlin - 01-09-2000

I use 2.25" thermal paper made by NCR in my HP97. It is available at office depot in packs of 3 for $ 3.50. I think the print is superior to the original HP paper. The print is black instead of blue however.

Re: Thermal paper for HP printers - G Weisbrot - 02-19-2000

Need thermal paper for HP printers? Radio Shack No. 65-706 calculator paper (2-1/4") works well. I'd like to find cassettes for the digital cassette drive?