HP Forums
Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! (/thread-234314.html)

Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Mic - 11-22-2012

Hello,

It is the TI-84 Pocket SE (currently only sold in Asia) with a color screen :
http://www.calc-bank.com/index.php?mod=news&ac=commentaires&id=1748

Will we see TI89 or Voyage 200 with colour screens ??...
Will HP release its first color calc ?

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Thomas Radtke - 11-22-2012

Quote:
Will HP release its first color calc ?
Only those obligated to a NDA would know.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - hpnut - 11-22-2012

Call me old school but I believe a colour screen won't add much to the functionality of a calculator, especially an RPN one.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Maximilian Hohmann - 11-22-2012

Hello!

Quote:
Call me old school but I believe a colour screen won't add much to the functionality of a calculator, especially an RPN one.

To the functionality maybe not. But colour contrast together with brighntness contrast (black and white) greatly enhances the readability compared to brightness alone. And for graphic displays, colour is essential anyway.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Walter B - 11-22-2012

Quote:
... for graphic displays, colour is essential anyway.

IMHO, good 2d graphics works without color as well if not better than with. And 3d graphics is seldom good, according to my practical experience. YMMV.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Gerson W. Barbosa - 11-22-2012

What about real 3D graphics?

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Massimo Gnerucci (Italy) - 11-22-2012

No holodeck and odorama? :-)

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Gerson W. Barbosa - 11-22-2012

Holodeck would be great as well, but I fear the technology is not available yet :-)

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Garth Wilson - 11-22-2012

I'd like to see what the battery life is. I definitely wouldn't want to be having to recharge all the time like a cell phone, and I am not aware of any technology that would allow good battery life with a color display. I have no use for color myself.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - bluesun08 - 11-22-2012

The customers (teachers, students) will answer the question: color or not color?

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Ethan Conner - 11-22-2012

I think they will answer yes.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - From Hong Kong - 11-23-2012

Considering a lot of games already written for the TI-84+ series, the two colour models are going to be more attractive gameboys! :P

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - bluesun08 - 11-23-2012

Don't panic! For HP49/50 there are also a lot of games, see:

http://www.hpcalc.org/hp49/games/

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Patrice - 11-23-2012

Quote:

For a RPN one, you are right.

But for a graphing one, color can be of great help

on the HP39GII, if you try to plot 10 functions in the function explorer app, I am sure colors will help to see which curve belong to which function.

Patrice

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - From Hong Kong - 11-23-2012

Yes! Colour screen may appeal to many potential users except me. In terms of features, the TI-84 series is good for students but not beyond. I don't think many stuents can use the colour screen constructively rather than for entertainment. If TI doesn't do much in the next ROM upgrade of the TI-84 series, the two models in this series should only be improved gameboys!

As a loyal HP user, I look forward to a colour graphing model from HP.

Edited: 23 Nov 2012, 7:01 a.m.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - bluesun08 - 11-23-2012

... of course with CAS, RPN and ENTER-Key.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Garth Wilson - 11-23-2012

When our kids were in high school, they said the only thing students in their math classes used the graphics on the required TI graphing calculators for was games.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Eddie W. Shore - 11-23-2012

Quote:
I think they will answer yes.

Agree. The models available right now (Casio Prizm, TI nSpire CX) are quite impressive.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - MacDonald Phillips - 11-23-2012

I have the TI-NSpire CX CAS and for me the color graphing, 2 & 3D, is very good. I also substitute in high school math and science classes. The math and science teachers I've seen do not teach their student how to use or program their calculators. I am taking a class in vector calculus where there is a high school math teacher taking it for his continuing education for accreditation. He does not know how to program a calculator even though he has a TI calculator with CAS. In fact, he does not know anything about programming.

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - hpnut - 11-24-2012

Quote:
He does not know how to program a calculator even though he has a TI calculator with CAS. In fact, he does not know anything about programming.

Heaven help that he knows how to teach ;-)

Re: Yet a new TI calculator with color screen ?! - Al - 11-24-2012

Re color displays and the virtues or detriments thereof, what are us poor, unloved color blind/color ignorant individuals in my case, to do?