HP Forums
WP-34s: Exponent display - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: WP-34s: Exponent display (/thread-218192.html)

WP-34s: Exponent display - W. Bruce Maguire II - 04-17-2012

Dear WP-34s team:

Please forgive me if this subject has already been debated and closed, but if not, I have a request regarding the exponent display.

I always use an ENG display mode (usually ENG 5), and it is very disconcerting to only see a *single* digit in the exponent section! In fact, the first time I saw it---for just a moment---I wasn't even sure that the "6" that was there actually represented the power-of-ten exponent! I'm used to seeing "00", "03", "-03", etc., to the right of the mantissa on my old HPs.

Personally, I would *much* rather see the exponent displayed with 2 digits (unless 3 were required); basically, I think it would be much more familiar to us "HP-old-timers" to see the exponent displayed as "%02d", rather than "%d".

I'm sure I can get used to it, but as long as I'm looking at my *ultimate* HP-RPN-like calculator---and as long as it is possible---why settle for less? ;-)

Thanks for a really great calculator,
Bruce.

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - Walter B - 04-17-2012

Dear Bruce,

Here we disagree. Even the good old HP-42S displays 12.3E3. Why shall we show meaningless heading zeros? Math is the art of economy in expressions. No Sir, I'm not convinced.

Walter

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - W. Bruce Maguire II - 04-17-2012

Walter:

In my opinion, leading zeros just makes it easier to visually *see* and *separate* the exponent from the number. I guess in my mind that is why I prefer the exponent display of the LED classics, the 10c--15c, and the 41c/v/x, to the modern, more abbreviated displays.

Would it be possible to add an option for the exponent format?

Would you not agree that display modes are *inherently* individualistic? If "math is the art of economy in expressions," then we should only allow for STD/ALL display mode; right? I mean *why* should anyone want to see training zeros in a number display? ;-)

To each his own. So if exponent format *can* be handled without much overhead, I would vote for that option---just like I vote for the *option* of STD/ALL and FIX formats, even though I abhor them!

Thanks,
Bruce.

[Edited my original post to retract my 2- vs. 3-digit comment.]

Edited: 18 Apr 2012, 11:53 a.m. after one or more responses were posted

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - Marcus von Cube, Germany - 04-17-2012

Configuration bits are scarce and you're the first to ask for this feature. If we ever change the exponent format then to the full three digits in the area reserved for the purpose, not halfway in between.

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - W. Bruce Maguire II - 04-17-2012

Marcus:

Understood. And yes, I would vote for "%03d" over "%d".

Thanks,
Bruce.

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - Gerson W. Barbosa - 04-17-2012

Quote:
If we ever change the exponent format then to the full three digits in the area reserved for the purpose, not halfway in between.

I concur as well.

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - Dieter - 04-17-2012

Quote:
Even the good old HP-42S displays 12.3E3. Why shall we show meaningless heading zeros?

Because we can. ;-)

We have three separate digits for the exponent that are not used otherwise. In contrast, the 42s had to use one single line for mantissa and exponent, leading to results displayed the way you mentioned. Which, I think, is much harder to read:

Today's display with that weird "E" hidden between the digits:

1,2345E6
Classic calculator display:
1,2345    06
Current 34s display:
Possible 34s display:
No, I do not have a preference for leading zeroes in the exponent. I think both options are way better than the ubiquitous "E" display. ;-)

Dieter

Quote:

If I had a choice, I would prefer 1.2345006.

Cheers,

Gerson.

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - Paul Dale - 04-17-2012

Why not then leading zeros in the mantissa too? It is the same thing fundamentally & in integer mode it is possible.

- Pauli

This appears to be a standard in calculators that have a dedicated position for exponents in the display:

Gerson.

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - Paul Dale - 04-17-2012

That's a toy not a real calculator :-)

- Pauli

A toy? It's a joy, oh boy! :-)

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - Walter B - 04-18-2012

Quote:
Current 34s display:

Please quote correctly: 1,2345 6 ;-)

Do you prefer fluffy keys? :-)

Re: WP-34s: Exponent display - W. Bruce Maguire II - 04-18-2012

Dear WP-34s team:

There appears to be some interest, beyond myself, for being able to have leading-zeros in the exponent display. I understand that configuration bits are probably scarce/valuable, so what level of interest do you feel is required to add this option?

Thank you for your attention,
Bruce.

Dear Bruce,

Quote:
There appears to be some interest, beyond myself, for being able to have leading-zeros in the exponent display.

Let's count: you + Gerson = 2 people ~= 'some interest', quite correct ;-) Well, you'll understand that topic is really not number one priority on our list. Currently, the solver looks *slightly* more important IMHO. Thanks for your understanding.

Walter

Walter:

How about Dieter? You gotta give me at least *partial-credit* for his response; so I count 2.5 people! ;-)

Sure, I understand about priority; bug-fixes are certainly priority. Can this be put on a "requested feature" list? Who knows, doing a poll may indicate more interest...

Thanks for your consideration,

Bruce.

Bruce, please sell this to me as a 25% increase of available market ;-) Anyway, as soon as we've got nothing better to do, we'll think about leading zeros in the exponent for sure ...

Walter:

Fair enough!

Thanks,

Bruce.