HP Forums
WP34S x=? in integer mode - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: WP34S x=? in integer mode (/thread-214140.html)

WP34S x=? in integer mode - Harald - 03-13-2012

I have written a little program to "benchmark" a few of my calculators. It simply adds all the integers from the start value down to 1. I am using x=0? to determin when to stop.
Out of interest I wanted to see what happens if I put the calculator into integer mode and discovered something that I do not understand.
x=0? returns "true" for x being -75. Can someone explain why that is?

According to the manual I should use x=+0? or x=-0?, but haven't tried that yet (forgot the calculator at home)

Cheers,
Harald

Edited: 13 Mar 2012, 9:48 a.m.

Re: WP34S x=? in integer mode - Dominic Richens - 03-13-2012

notwithstanding what the manual says about x=-0 and x=+0, x=0? should still work as expected in integer mode.

Not only does -75 x=0? return true, 0 x=0? returns false!

Re: WP34S x=? in integer mode - Walter B - 03-13-2012

Good find :-) Strange things happening there: -16 x=0? returns (correctly) false, so what's happening in between? We'll look into that. Thanks for reporting!

Re: WP34S x=? in integer mode - Marcus von Cube, Germany - 03-13-2012

I have an idea where to look but I need time to investigate it.

Re: WP34S x=? in integer mode - Paul Dale - 03-13-2012

Fix committed but not built. This was a result of the rearrangement of the internal constants table recently. There was a second bug where the integer test against 1 was really against -1 :-(

You only need to use x=+0? and x=-0? in special occasions and if you don't know or understand when, you don't need to use them :-) Just use x=0? instead.

- Pauli

Re: WP34S x=? in integer mode - Harald - 03-13-2012

Quote:
You only need to use x=+0? and x=-0? in special occasions and if you don't know or understand when, you don't need to use them :-) Just use x=0? instead.

- Pauli

So basically you are saying they are only interesting if I am using ones' complement because then I have both +0 and -0? But x=0? should be true for both +0 and -0?

Quote:
So basically you are saying they are only interesting if I am using ones' complement because then I have both +0 and -0? But x=0? should be true for both +0 and -0?

That is a third of the ways negative zero can appear.

The sign & mantissa integer mode also has positive and negative zero. This isn't really any different to the 1s complement mode however.

Real numbers have positive and negative zeros, which is invaluable for numerical programming. You'll have to set flag D to see the difference.

And yes, x=0? is true for both positive and negative zero.

- Pauli

Re: WP34S x=? in integer mode - Harald - 03-13-2012

Quote:
Real numbers have positive and negative zeros, which is invaluable for numerical programming. You'll have to set flag D to see the difference.

I never thought about that, but I suppose it helps to know which side you are approaching a limit from.

Quote:
And yes, x=0? is true for both positive and negative zero.

- Pauli

Ok, thanks for the info!

Harald

Quote:
...I suppose it helps to know which side you are approaching a limit from.

Exactly. Very useful for complex branch cuts e.g.

- Pauli