HP Forums
HP-41 Navigation Pac? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HP-41 Navigation Pac? (/thread-20970.html)

HP-41 Navigation Pac? - Karl Schneider - 08-17-2002

The Navigation Pac ROM for the HP-41 is apparently rare. The only offerings I've seen are an eBay auction a few months ago (dusty 41CX + wand + Nav Pac won for $169 -- wish I'd bid more aggressively!); and one MoHPC member had one for sale in classifieds.

I'd like to write a program for the 42S with the following data interface:

Inputs: date, time, latitiude, and longitude

Outputs: zenith angle, azimuth angle, rise time, set time for both sun and moon

I believe that the Nav Pac might offer some helpful code and ideas, but I don't know what it includes. My MoHPC CD-ROM set conatins neither a scan of that particular Pac (one of the very few that are missing), nor a code listing of the ROM.

One user program for the 42S in the MoHPC library calculates phases-of-the-moon and lists an astronomical reference.

Could anyone provide a Table of Contents listing for the Navigation Pac ROM, or give any other helpful info? Many thanks in advance...

-- Karl

Re: HP-41 Navigation Pac? - Dave Hicks - 08-17-2002

Here's the table of Contents:

Great Circle Course and Distance
Great Circle Position
Rhumb-Line Course and Distance
Rhumb-Line Position
Great Circle Plotting and Voyage Planning
Dead Reckoning
Sight Reduction
Perpetual Almanac Stars, Sun Planets, Moon
Almanac Interpolator

Subroutines:
Sight Reduction Table
Calendar Functions
Greenwich Sidereal Time
Star Almanac
Fundamental Arguments
Astronomical Coordinate Conversions
Longitude to Latitude
Input/Output Routines

This manual will be on the next CD/DVD set which is what is currently consuming most of my time. I expect it to be ready quite soon.

Re: HP-41 Navigation Pac? - Karl Schneider - 08-18-2002

Thanks, Dave! (and Luiz Claudio by e-mail). This looks like a good module to get. The "Almanac Interpolator" might provide much of what I want, except the nice 42S menu interface.

BTW, I misremembered a fact in my original post: The phases-of-the-moon program was written for the HP-41, not the HP-42. That also seems to be covered in the Nav Pac.

Re: HP-41 Navigation Pac? - Stephan (CH) - 08-19-2002

Good Morning Karl
As you mentioned it is very hard to get hold on a navigation pac. Approx. a month ago I was lucky to receive one. If it helps I could do a programlist printing for you. Let me know if you need copys of particular pages as well. Best regards Stephan

Re: HP-41 Navigation Pac? - George - 08-19-2002

Having the Navigation Pac manual on the next CD ROM set will be irresistable incentive for me to upgrade. I have had the ROM for some time but have been unable to find a manual (even a copy). Thank you for all your efforts, Dave.