HP Forums
Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? (/thread-200447.html)

Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? - Glenn Shields - 10-09-2011

First, thanks to all for the HHC videos, an eye-opener for sure. The TI talk reminded me (painfully) of once having a Datamath red-LED calculator, with a peculiar quirk: sometimes, when turning it on, the display would start counting up from the rightmost place, at blistering speed. No decimal point or leading zeroes, just counting up at about the rate of 500 per second, as a very rough estimate. Any explanation of this, or personal experience? Again, ouch, that unit is part of some landfill somewhere. TIA, Glenn

Re: Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? - Maximilian Hohmann - 10-09-2011

Hello!

Quote:
Any explanation of this, or personal experience?

Explanation? No. Personal experience? Yes. Because it works in more or less the same way with most Ti calculators! My Ti-59 still does that trick today.

Regards,
max

Re: Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? - Glenn Shields - 10-09-2011

Thanks, I appreciate that validation. I had another TI red LED machine, also in the landfill (keeping my HP35 company). But all that reminiscing at the conference led me to see, on the Datamath site, the name "Monsanto." It said they developed the LEDs for TI (and HP also?) as well as Agent Orange. Does anyone also remember that they sponsored the Disneyland attraction "Adventure Through Inner Space?"
Interesting connections. Regards, Glenn

Re: Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? - Lincoln R. - 10-09-2011

I'm pretty sure HP made their own LEDs. For years, HP was one of the bigger suppliers of LED displays. This business got handed off to Agilent, who later spun it off into another company called Avago, IIRC.

Re: Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? - Dan W - 10-09-2011

Quote:
Does anyone also remember that they sponsored the Disneyland attraction "Adventure Through Inner Space?"
Interesting connections. Regards, Glenn

Wow that's an old memory! I went on that ride as a young squirt probably back in '70 or so. Its one of the few rides I recall well.

Miracles from Molecules!

Found a very good CGI re-creation of the ride on YouTube. Don't know how they did it.

CGI Ride

Re: Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? - Martin Pinckney - 10-09-2011

Quote:
Does anyone also remember that they sponsored the Disneyland attraction "Adventure Through Inner Space?"

At Disney World , it was the Monsanto Circle Vision Theater (later different corporate sponsors for that attraction).

Re: Old Datamath quirk: anyone remember? - David Ramsey - 10-09-2011

I used a TI 59 for the last two years I was in college. I never saw (or, before now, heard of) this quirk...