HP Forums
HP 15C Batteries (Update) - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HP 15C Batteries (Update) (/thread-181130.html)

HP 15C Batteries (Update) - BrianDH - 03-27-2011

I just wanted to let people know that Equilizer 357 batteries worked fine in my 15C. Got them at Target for about $5, so not too expensive.

Re: HP 15C Batteries (Update) - Bill (Smithville, NJ) - 03-28-2011

Brian,

I have been using the Energizer 357 batteries for several years now, and they do work great. The nice thing is they come three to a package at a very resonable price. I usually keep a few extra packages of batteries around at work and home so I never run out of battery power.

Bill

Re: HP 15C Batteries (Update) - Paul Dale - 03-28-2011

That's something you don't hear often. A voyager running out of power :-)

- Pauli

Re: HP 15C Batteries (Update) - Jeff Kearns - 03-28-2011

Hi Bill,

You must be a power - HP 15C user. I have changed my batteries only once since 1986. Aren't you concerned the batteries in your drawer will be almost as dead as the ones in your calculator by the time you have to use them?

Jeff Kearns

Re: HP 15C Batteries (Update) - Michael Plant - 03-28-2011

Quote:
Aren't you concerned the batteries in your drawer will be almost as dead as the ones in your calculator by the time you have to use them?

One tip to keep new batteries "fresh" is to keep them in the fridge... pun intended ;)

Re: HP 15C Batteries (Update) - Bill (Smithville, NJ) - 03-28-2011

Hi Jeff,

No, not a power user, but I have several calcs that all use the same batteries and the batteries were installed at different times. I don't keep track of when they were installed, so it's just a nice feeling knowing I have a few spare sets laying around. The shelf life on uninstalled batteries is pretty long - or at least longer than when they are installed. And at $5 for three, they're cheap enough to keep some spares.

Bill

Edited: 28 Mar 2011, 3:49 p.m.

Re: HP 15C Batteries (Update) - Randy - 03-28-2011

Quote:
One tip to keep new batteries "fresh" is to keep them in the fridge... pun intended ;)

Actually, that's a really bad idea. From Enegizer's website FAQ's:

Q: Is it a good idea to store batteries in a refrigerator or freezer?

No, storage in a refrigerator or freezer is not required or recommended for batteries produced today. Cold temperature storage can in fact harm batteries if condensation results in corroded contacts or label or seal damage due to extreme temperature storage. To maximize performance and shelf life, store batteries at normal room temperatures (68°F to 78°F or 20°C to 25°C) with moderated humidity levels (35 to 65% RH).

And this is another good point, especially for 41's and 48's:

Why is mixing batteries of different chemistries, brands or age a potential problem?

Mixing of battery types (different chemistries, brands and/or fresh vs. used) in a device is not recommended and can significantly increase the potential for leakage and reduced device run time. The primary concern is an imbalance in capacities or available energy between the installed batteries. As the weakest battery becomes exhausted, it will be force discharged by the stronger batteries to very low or negative voltage levels which drastically increases the potential for leakage.

Re: HP 15C Batteries (Update) - Michael Plant - 03-29-2011

Thanks for that Randy - very good information!