HP Forums
HP 41CX - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HP 41CX (/thread-178297.html)

HP 41CX - Forrest Butler - 02-03-2011

I've had the referenced HP since 1980 (or so) and still use it daily in my work - RPN is far more efficient in my view. Recently, my HP replaced the decimal point with a comma, and no longer utilizes commas to separate thousands. I removed the battery for four hours hoping it would reboot to the original default position, but that hasn't helped. Does anyone on this forum have an idea how to correct this "problem"?

Re: HP 41CX - Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina) - 02-03-2011

The "radix mark" (comma or dot) is the symbol which separates integer and fraction part of numbers. The selection of radix mark and enabling or disabling the digits-grouping (separating thousands groups using dot or comma) are controlled by flags 28 and 29. You use the SET FLAG (SF) and CLEAR FLAG (CF) functions to set these features to suit your preferences.

To SET FLAG use the yellow SHIFT key and the "7" key, to CLEAR FLAG, use the yellow SHIFT key and the "8" key.

For instance, to use a dot as radix mark, and to enable the digits grouping feature, you should SF 28 and SF 29.

HTH

Re: HP 41CX - Gerson W. Barbosa - 02-03-2011

Quote:
Recently, my HP replaced the decimal point with a comma, and no longer utilizes commas to separate thousands.

Like this? I would leave it this way :-)

Now seriously, from the HP-41CX Quick Reference Guide:

Flag        Flag Name               Status at Reset,
Number Turn ON

28 Radix Mark 1
29 Digit Separator Mark 1

So, try SF 28 and SF 29.

Regards,

Gerson.

Edited per Andrés's correction below.

Edited: 3 Feb 2011, 4:53 p.m. after one or more responses were posted

Re: HP 41CX - Karl-Ludwig Butte - 02-03-2011

Hello Forrest,

there are two display control flags in the HP-41:
- Decimal Point Flag = Flag 28
- Digit Grouping Flag = Flag 29

If flag 28 is set, the decimal point is the radix and the comma is the seperator.
If flag 28 is cleared, the comma is the radix and the decimal point is the seperator.

If flag 29 is set, seperators will be displayed.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Karl

Re: HP 41CX - Martin Pinckney - 02-03-2011

Same answer, three different ways. Such service. [;-)

Re: HP 41CX - Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina) - 02-03-2011

Well, these functions are not postfix (perhaps on RPL machines they are so). On the HP 41 you do SF (or CF) and then type the appropriate flag number as prompted on the display.

So it is SF xx or CF xx.

Regards,

Re: HP 41CX - Gerson W. Barbosa - 02-03-2011

¡Gracias, Andrés!

Gerson.

Re: HP 41CX - Forrest Butler - 02-03-2011

Beautiful - thank you very much for your quick (and overwhelming) response. Once upon a time I frequently utilized my HP in the engineering field and recognized its power directly or through my Owner's Manual - but now, not so much. Still a great calculator and equally so, those on this forum that love it as I have.
Thanks again for your assistance.

Re: HP 41CX - Mike Morrow - 02-03-2011

Quote:
I've had the referenced HP since 1980 (or so)...

I believe the "or so" part. The HP41-CX didn't hit the street until about four years later.

Re: HP 41CX - Forrest Butler - 02-06-2011

Could have been 1984 - I don't remember. Had a HP 25 before that and after grad school (1975) worked with a large (2' X 3') HP with similar RPN logic and programmable capabilities at Houston Lighting & Power (HL&P) - thus, my introduction into the HP world. Fine machine and way before its time considering a mere five years earlier all we had was COBOL...