HP Forums
Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? (/thread-169301.html)

Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Woody - 07-05-2010

Although I have been and probably always will be a great HP calc fan, I have been away from the forum for the last few years with work, I have sort of lost track of the value of some of the calc-related stuff that I have.

I am probably going to sell most of what I have gathered together, since my work and interests have taken me in different directions, but I don't know what any of the calcs, parts, or manuals are worth. I assume this question also comes up when considering another purchase, insurance coverage, shipping costs, etc.

Is there any other way of identifying what to sell it for other than the obvious auction site? I have looked through the classifieds and don't see enough history to tell me. I thought that there used to be a vintage calculator website, but I haven't found it. I remember the pricing guide of several years ago, but I don't think that it has been updated for a while.

I am not trying to post an ad in the forum, but if this violates the rules please delete it.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Vieira, Luiz C. (Brazil) - 07-05-2010

Hi, Woody;

what about having a look at the Classified Adds? Chances are you'll find better, up-to-date references.

Cheers.

Luiz (Brazil)

(I am still trying to find an HP41 HPIL unit for sale, to be kept as a spare unit, and a CX fullnut... The very moments, amongst many, I would like to have a chance to buy somewhere else without worrying about paying more of taxes then price/cost...)

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Don Shepherd - 07-05-2010

Quote:
Is there any other way of identifying what to sell it for other than the obvious auction site?

Well, the advantage of the auction site is that you don't have to determine the value, the bidders will do that. There are enough people wanting to buy classic HP calcs that you will most certainly get the highest price that knowldegeable (and unknowledgeable, sometimes) bidders are willing to pay.

If I wanted to sell any of my HP calcs, which I don't, I'd probably try the museum classified ads first, because you know that these folks really care about and know HP calcs. I recently bought a calc through the museum classified ads and it was a very pleasant experience; I recommend it.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Woody - 07-05-2010

Actually, I have sold a few items in the classifieds several years ago. I also think it is probably a good place to post things like this.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Juergen Keller - 07-05-2010

Auction site: good chance to get a high price for your HP stuff

Classified ads: good chance to find a good new home for your HP stuff

If you are lucky you get both, good price and good home, on both sites ...

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Namir - 07-06-2010

Agree ... you can experiment by selling a few items on both sites and see which site gives you more satisfaction (ease of transactions, prices, payments, mailing fees/issues, and so on). After selling a few items you can focus on one site to sell the rest of your calculators and accessories.

Namir

Edited: 6 July 2010, 3:01 a.m.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Maximilian Hohmann - 07-06-2010

Hello!

Quote:
... good chance to find a good new home for your HP stuff ...

Just out of curiosity: What would you consider to be a _bad_ home for your HP stuff?

Regarding the question: I would go the eBay (not afraid to call it by name!) route. Using the classifieds, I think would be a little suspicious - unless the buyer is one of the regular posters here - especially with high-value items.

Regards,
Max

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - megarat - 07-06-2010

Quote:

Just out of curiosity: What would you consider to be a _bad_ home for your HP stuff?

I think the definition of "good home" comes to mean "someone who really appreciates, knows a lot about, and wants the calculator for the long term".

Myself, the quintessential "bad home" would be someone that I gave a good deal to, under the expectation that they're a kindred spirit and happy about the acquisition, but then they turn it around and try to profit from the deal, coburlin-style.

(EDIT: I also suppose the definition would also include someone who intends to destroy the calculator while wearing a TI t-shirt as a means of performance art, but I don't think there are many of those out there.)

When I had the nice luck of finding a lot of working HP 27 calculators at a surplus sale, I sold nearly all of them through this forum and they were great transactions. I think it worked out best all around: I got a reasonable price (~ current eBay auction value minus 20%), the buyers finally got the scarce calculator they were looking for (at a reasonably good price), and I got to meet all these nice HP enthusiasts all over the world. I wish I could have that sort of luck again, and only partially for the money.

Edited: 6 July 2010, 12:26 p.m.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Juergen Keller - 07-06-2010

Quote:

Hmm, a 'good' home is where the stuff is appreciated and taken good care of. A 'bad' home is just the opposite ;-)

Probably, you just have more control when selling by ads than by auction. But as prices are quite high, only fans will spend so much money, so the new home will be 'good' anyway.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Maximilian Hohmann - 07-06-2010

Hi!

Quote:
Hmm, a 'good' home is where the stuff is appreciated and taken good care of. A 'bad' home is just the opposite ;-)

I once (not so long ago) killed a nice HP-25, actually my all-time favorite calculator, by using it every day. Maybe not really using it, but carrying it around in my bag in case I might need it.

I am still unsure if I was a good owner (using it what it was designed for despite it's old age) or a bad owner (by not putting it into a shoe-box together with hundreds of its companions)?

Regards,
Max

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Michael de Estrada - 07-06-2010

Funny you should mention the HP-25, because it is one of my favorites as well and IMO about the best hand-held ever made. I believe that all my calculators, regardless of rarity, deserve to be used, but not abused or misused. Therefore, I do not have any truly "mint" calculators, and have chosen to use all my calculators, even when I received them NIB, never used and in original packaging. I take what I consider to be reasonable precautions, such as not charging the battery pack inside my Woodstocks. Yes, even my Red Dot gets powered up on occasion, although admittedly I don't use it heavily.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - DaveJ - 07-06-2010

Ebay has a "completed items" option that tells you what things have actually sold for in the past 3 months.

Just search for your model(s) and there should be some history there, then set your minimum price a bit below the average figure.

Dave.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - DavidShenk - 07-07-2010

Unfortunately, it's more like 3 weeks. That is fine for popular items, but not too good for researching more rare items. I'm still curious about the value of the plotter module for the HP41, but they just don't sell often.

If there is a website that keeps track of previously sold items, or a way to do a google search, I'd like to know.

Dave

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - DaveJ - 07-07-2010

Hmm, so it seems. It used to be 3 months!

Seller feedback and links to items still dates back 3 months, so you can do it the real hard way if needed.

Dave.

Edited: 7 July 2010, 4:18 a.m.

Re: Valuing of Calcs and Related Stuff? - Juergen Keller - 07-07-2010

You're a good owner if you bring the HP-25 back to life, or if you at least don't throw it to the bin ;-)

I have the same attitude as you: I use my HP calcs (or rather play with them) and don't put them to storage. For me it's just too boring to only look at them ...