HP Forums
An update on Carly - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: An update on Carly (/thread-164025.html)

An update on Carly - Palmer O. Hanson, Jr. - 03-06-2010

An article on politics in California on page 40 of the latest issue of The Economist states

Quote:
... Carly Fiorina is running for the seat of Barbara Boxer, one of the most liberal members of Congress. Ms. Fiorina was once boss of HP, a printer- and computer-maker. She is trying to make voters overlook the fact that HP was worth much less when she left than when she came, not to mention that the board ousted her in 2005. Her grasp of governance matters is superficial: she recently seemed to think that California could declare bankruptcy. And her campaign and advertising have been bizarre.

Re: An update on Carly - Seth Morabito - 03-07-2010

Oh yes. As a California resident, I can confirm that it has been a fairly bizarre campaign. But don't take my word for it. Just Google "Demon Sheep".

Re: An update on Carly - Namir - 03-07-2010

Seth,

That "Demon Sheep" political ad on YouTube sounded more like an episode of Rod Serling's Night Gallery!!

Namir

Re: An update on Carly - Michael Plant - 03-07-2010

I'm speechless...

Re: An update on Carly - Palmer O. Hanson, Jr. - 03-08-2010

Wasn't Carly considered for the Vice-Presidential slot with John McCain? Will the GOP national ticket in 2012 be Palin and Fiorina?

Re: An update on Carly - Tom Mathes - 03-08-2010

Quote:
Wasn't Carly considered for the Vice-Presidential slot with John McCain? Will the GOP national ticket in 2012 be Palin and Fiorina?

Talk about a gift to the other side.

I hope they do just that.

Re: An update on Carly - Eddie W. Shore - 03-08-2010

Quote:

Talk about a gift to the other side.

I hope they do just that.

Great, not only we have Meg Whitman to worry about, now Fiona. Must be the year of crazy GOP women.

Re: An update on Carly - Tom Mathes - 03-09-2010

Quote:

Great, not only we have Meg Whitman to worry about, now Fiona. Must be the year of crazy GOP women.

No, not crazy, but just like any other CEO, thinks they walk on water and can do no wrong. Being a man or woman has nothing to do with it. Just sheer ego. It goes with the job.

Re: An update on Carly - Howard Owen - 03-09-2010

Arianna Packard flays Carly from the right. (PDF)

Re: An update on Carly - db (martinez, ca.) - 03-09-2010

"No, not crazy, but just like any other CEO, thinks they walk on water and can do no wrong. Being a man or woman has nothing to do with it. Just sheer ego. It goes with the job."

That's such a nice way of putting it Tom. I'll use that in the future. My standard rant has usually started out something like: "once someone has sucked their way to any position of authority they will use that power to prove that they are omniscient, omnipotent, transcendent, righteous......... to themselves" and it continues downhill from there. I'm as likely to vote Democrat as Republican, but never Carly, not after she turned "the company of engineers" into the company of loss-leader printers.

Carly's opponent, Tom Campbell, was interviewed on KGO radio today. They invited her too but according to her handlers: "Ms Fiorina doesn't do media".

Re: An update on Carly - Stefan Hauschild - 03-10-2010

The most annoying part of the original article was to me the reference to HP as a "printer- and computer-maker" like some company from the outback of China.

But I think the kids don´t know it better today.

Re: An update on Carly - Eddie W. Shore - 03-10-2010

I will not be voting for Carly either.

Re: An update on Carly - Martin Pinckney - 03-10-2010

Quote:
The most annoying part of the original article was to me the reference to HP as a "printer- and computer-maker" like some company from the outback of China.

Well... that's what it's become.

Re: An update on Carly - John Garza - 03-15-2010

Wasn't it on her watch that HP gave out employee SS numbers so people could impersonate them on the telephone? "Pretexting" I think was the euphemism used in the media. Or was it after her?

I think Tolkien had it right. The mere fact that someone desires power is enough to disqualify them. It points to psycological issues that could be greatly amplified by the addition of power.

-J