HP Forums
HP 15C Self-Test Question - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HP 15C Self-Test Question (/thread-134084.html)

HP 15C Self-Test Question - Santeh - 03-07-2008

Hello all,

I recently acquired an HP-15C and had a question. Even though the calculator seemed to function perfectly, I decided to run the self-tests. And, when I ran the unit through its self-tests it passed the On-X and On-+ tests, yet failed the On-/ test unless I reset the continuous memory first. Is this normal, or should the On-/ test pass or fail regardless of running the continuous memory reset option?

One second question, if I may. I noticed upon receipt of the unit that there was a fair amount of lint under the LCD screen. While the lint is annoying, I was wondering if it poses any potential problems for the unit?

Thank you all!

Re: HP 15C Self-Test Question - Karl Schneider - 03-08-2008

Quote:
(HP-15C)...failed the On-/ test unless I reset the continuous memory first. Is this normal, or should the On-/ test pass or fail regardless of running the continuous memory reset option?

"ON/-" isn't a test -- it resets continuous memory.

-- KS

Re: HP 15C Self-Test Question - Allen - 03-08-2008

Also, the Voyagers can do strange things in test mode if the batteries are weak. Make sure you have new batteries before giving up.

Re: HP 15C Self-Test Question - Santeh - 03-08-2008

Quote:

"ON/-" isn't a test -- it resets continuous memory.

-- KS

Hello!

Thank you for the help. I appreciate it!

Forgive me, as I honestly do not follow. According to the 15C Owners Handbook:

"The On-/ combination initiates a test of the keyboard and the display." Regretfully, I did not see where the manual notes that the On-/ test resets the continuous memory. And, quite, this is where my conundrum came as the only way I got the On-/ test to work was by first clearing the continuous memory via the On-- test (located on page 64 of the manual; is this what you were referring to?).

However, I will also take a look at replacing the batteries and trying the On-/ test again.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks again!

Quote:
Also, the Voyagers can do strange things in test mode if the batteries are weak. Make sure you have new batteries before giving up.

Hello!

Thanks also for the help!

I will give this a try. Yet if I still am unable to pass the On-/ test without first clearing the continuous memory does this mean the unit needs servicing? If so, can HP still perform a proper fix for a 15C?

Thanks again!

Edited: 8 Mar 2008, 9:27 p.m.

Re: HP 15C Self-Test Question - Mike Morrow - 03-08-2008

There's a little bit of wrong and incomplete information appearing.

"ON /" initiates the KEYBOARD test. Once you push that combination, the display will just show four odd segments. Then, start pushing the upper left-most key, followed by the next key to the right, till you get across the top and start on the next lower row of keys. Do this until you have pressed all the keys in order, pressing the ENTER key twice since it is encountered on the third and the fourth row of keys. As you push each key in this test, other segments will display, until you get through all successfully and a "15" is displayed. If you get out of the expected order, "Error 9" will be displayed. Just push ON / and start the test again if that happens.

"ON -" is the memory reset that gives a "Pr Error" display.

Mike

Re: HP 15C Self-Test Question - Karl Schneider - 03-08-2008

Santeh --

Oops! I misread what you wrote. The self-tests and master clear (reset) are normally denoted

"ON/*", "ON/+", "ON/{divide sign}", and "ON/-".

Inability to do the display-element test without first resetting is a new one to me. I'd ensure that the batteries were strong (not less than 1.50 V each; test individually). A significant battery undervoltage will be indicated by a blinking asterisk in the lower left corner of the display.

-- KS

Quote:

Inability to do the display-element test without first resetting is a new one to me. I'd ensure that the batteries were strong (not less than 1.50 V each; test individually). A significant battery undervoltage will be indicated by a blinking asterisk in the lower left corner of the display.

-- KS

Hello!

No worries... If time permits I will go to RadioShack and pickup some new LR44, model 357 Zn/AgO batteries. Hopefully this will do the trick. If not.... :-(

Thanks again.

Quote:
There's a little bit of wrong and incomplete information appearing.

"ON /" initiates the KEYBOARD test. Once you push that combination, the display will just show four odd segments. Then, start pushing the upper left-most key, followed by the next key to the right, till you get across the top and start on the next lower row of keys. Do this until you have pressed all the keys in order, pressing the ENTER key twice since it is encountered on the third and the fourth row of keys. As you push each key in this test, other segments will display, until you get through all successfully and a "15" is displayed. If you get out of the expected order, "Error 9" will be displayed. Just push ON / and start the test again if that happens.

"ON -" is the memory reset that gives a "Pr Error" display.

Mike

Hello!

As always, thanks for the help and I really do want to make sure my 15C is working properly...

The question initially came from my having to do an On - test first, thus clearing the continuous memory, before being able to pass the On / (keyboard) test (resulting in "15"). As the 15C manual did not state either way if an On - test was required before the On / test, I just wanted to make sure my 15C was working properly as it seems to perform all normal operations, and programming, fine (including passing the On X and On + tests).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The HP-15C was discontinued 20 years ago, replaced by the far more capable HP 42S, so HP hasn't repaired/replaced HP-15C units for about 15 years. Randy at www.fixthatcalc.com is the best source of support for machines that HP has dropped.

Mike

No, it should never be necessary to clear the machine with "ON -" before initiating and passing the "ON /" KEYBOARD/DISPLAY test. I've just done the ON / test to my HP-15C and my HP-12C without clearing the machines.

What exactly is the indication that the ON / test has failed on your machine, if you don't do ON - machine clear beforehand? Error 9 when the first key is pushed?

Mike

Quote:
No, it should never be necessary to clear the machine with "ON -" before initiating and passing the "ON /" KEYBOARD/DISPLAY test. I've just done the ON / test to my HP-15C and my HP-12C without clearing the machines.

What exactly is the indication that the ON / test has failed on your machine, if you don't do ON - machine clear beforehand? Error 9 when the first key is pushed?

Mike

Hello!

Specifically, when I enter into the On / test everything goes fine until I reach the X key and then its fails with the Error 9 response. This failure always occurs at the X key unless the On - (Pr Error; continuous memory reset) is used first.

Any thoughts?

Yet tomorrow I will try some new AgO batteries as I hope mine are just going bad. If not, perhaps I will have to use Randy at www.fixthatcalc.com (thanks for the link!) as $69 for repair is not bad at all...

Always...

Re: HP 15C Self-Test Question - Santeh - 03-09-2008

Quote:

Yet tomorrow I will try some new AgO batteries as I hope mine are just going bad.

Hello all!

Well, after installing some fresh Energizer AgO lr44 (model 357) batteries, the problem of having to clear the continuous memory in order to pas the On / test appears to have resolved itself. Hooray! As such the machine seems fine as it is passing all tests easily. I will be sure to note if I see any changes.

Thanks all!

Edited: 9 Mar 2008, 11:15 p.m.