HP Forums
HP-71B: HP-IL ISA PC Card - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HP-71B: HP-IL ISA PC Card (/thread-130778.html)

HP-71B: HP-IL ISA PC Card - Alexander Wassermann - 01-11-2008

Hi Forum,

is the above mentioned card still available from Christoph Klug. I do not seem to find a source where I could actually find order information. I know it seems like an antquated wish but at the time when it was hype I did not have the money. Now I have the money but sad enough only limited time.

Anyway my interest in the 71 is unbroken and although I have the disc drive I would like the ISA card too as it seems like the more elegant/flexible and reliable way of transferring files.

Of course I have thought about buying a HP-110+ but there are not so may around to get either.

Just as a matter of interest: would there be a way to transfer files from or to a PC with RS-232 interface in a similar (elegant) fashion.

Thanks for any comments, hopefully from Christoph Klug himself.

Regards, Alexander

Re: HP-71B: HP-IL ISA PC Card - Allen - 01-11-2008

I would also recommend getting the EMU71 and EMU41 registered versions here. Contact Christophe directly ( his email is in the link above.. just look for the Klug Korner :-) for ordering information. He is very helpful, and is a great resource, including the articles he has on the Museum site!

With the EMU** registered versions, you can create 'virtual' Mass storage drives and use them to transfer/backup data from either calculator, or to and from REAL mass storage drive/devices. Well worth the extra money so that you can run any ROM and control any HPIL device from a PC with a ISA card slot.

I have a great respect for the work that Jean-Francois Garnier and Christophe Klug have done. They have bridged the best calculator/controllers of the 20th century and allowed us 'calcoholics' to use them well into the 21st century!

Re: HP-71B: HP-IL ISA PC Card - Egan Ford - 01-11-2008

Quote:
Is the above mentioned card still available from Christoph Klug. I do not seem to find a source where I could actually find order information. I know it seems like an antiquated wish but at the time when it was hype I did not have the money. Now I have the money but sad enough only limited time.

The 82973A and the Klug version of it can sometimes be found on eBay or here: http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/adforum.cgi

Your best bet would be this sites classifieds. Don't forget the cables. You need two.

Quote:
Anyway my interest in the 71 is unbroken and although I have the disc drive I would like the ISA card too as it seems like the more elegant/flexible and reliable way of transferring files.

IMHO, nothing is better than Linux+DOSEMU+EMU71 (registered version)+HP-IL ISA adapter. It's like connecting 2 71B together with virtual drives, a virtual display and printer. This is elegant. You will need an old ISA PC however. My 1995 workstation is still going strong.
Quote:
Just as a matter of interest: would there be a way to transfer files from or to a PC with RS-232 interface in a similar (elegant) fashion.

Can be done. I would not call it elegant.

Re: HP-71B: HP-IL ISA PC Card - Alexander Wassermann - 01-13-2008

@ Allen and @ Egan

Thanks for both responses.

I have the EMU71 and I have thought about the registered version once I find the card.

I have got a Pentium III now setup to run DOS and I can get file exchange with LIFUTIL for DOS. I will try with LINUX although I am not such a fan of it to get there too. Unfortunately to install the ISA card I would have to go further back in time with my PC hardware because of no ISA slot in the PIII.

Due to the comments I will abandon the RS-232 attempt and try to contact Christoph Klug.

Thanks again, Alexander

Re: HP-71B: HP-IL ISA PC Card - Egan Ford - 01-13-2008

Quote:
Unfortunately to install the ISA card I would have to go further back in time with my PC hardware because of no ISA slot in the PIII.

You can probably find an ISA slot-based PC at a thrift store for $10.

You can still by new system boards with ISA slots if you want to build your own.

Re: HP-71B: HP-IL ISA PC Card - Christoph Klug - 01-14-2008

The HP-IL/PC Interface Card for HP-41 and HP-71 (for PC interfacing in combination with EMU41 and EMU71) is still available from me. Please contact me by email christoph.klug(add)gmx.de

With best wishes from Germany - Christoph Klug

Edited: 14 Jan 2008, 7:56 a.m.