HP Forums
HP withdrawing HP35S - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: HP withdrawing HP35S (/thread-120031.html)

HP withdrawing HP35S - Chris Dean - 08-02-2007

I have had a HP35S on order from Samson Cables and I emailed them to find out when it is being delivered. They replied quickly saying

Quote:
Yesterday HP announced that the 35S calculator is being pulled off the market while a minor design flaw on the faceplate is being corrected. If you have already paid for your 35S, your PayPal or credit card account is being credited for the purchase. We will re list the 35S when HP again releases it for sale.

I have posted this to inform other buyers and to find out if anybody has noticed this design flaw. I now feel pretty cheesed off as I was eagerly awaiting my new calculator.

Regards

Chris

Edited: 2 Aug 2007, 11:01 a.m.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Katie Wasserman - 08-02-2007

Although I haven't seen any other mention of this, I guess that a lot of people are finding that the LCD display is not aligned with the faceplate. I sure hope that they take this stop in production to fix some of the firmware issues with this machine but I doubt that they will.

It figures that this would happen today just as the HP-35s made it into the NY Times. Wouldn't it be great if HP issued a recall notice to fix *all* the problems with the 35s like they did with the original HP-35 and the trig/log bugs -- then they'd have a real anniversary calculator!

-Katie

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Iqbal - 08-02-2007

I ordered six units. Should arrive tomorrow. I just checked hp.com and they said they are "out of stock".
Maybe they're painting on a R->P and P->R keys. I don't think I have seen any scientific calculator made within the last 15 years without those functions before.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - John Ioannidis - 08-02-2007

You don't need R>P and P>R when you have x i y and x \theta y modes

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Doctor Bubu - 08-02-2007

Hallo Chris!

Would that mean, that the HP35s delievered till now, are collectables in some years? ;-) Great deal, or?

Greetings Juergen

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Daniel Vollmer - 08-02-2007

It's now also on their webpage...

Very strange, but then I have mine... :/

Edited: 2 Aug 2007, 11:49 a.m.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - bill platt - 08-02-2007

Yes you do, when you need the complex decomposed----

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - sjthomas - 08-02-2007

Interesting. It would be nice if somebody would post a photo of one of the defective 35s's.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Thomas Radtke - 08-02-2007

...or if you want to enter PI oder recall a variable as angle.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Ed Look - 08-02-2007

Well, I wouldn't dream of returning my 35s, as it seems to work just fine and looks great, though if I stare at the annunciator line with the last (right most) manually activatible annunciator on, it does seem to leave less space between the top of the characters and the upper window edge than with the RPN (left most) annunciator.

The difference is not really even worth mentioning, except that the topic has come up now in this way.

However, my case is defective though; one of the straps inside came only partly sewn on to the edge on one side. Fortunately, the real defect was not with the calcuator itself.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Chris Dean - 08-02-2007

I suppose the units you all have are collectors items already!

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Vincze - 08-02-2007

It would be nice if HP would explain what they mean by defective face plate.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Matt Kernal - 08-02-2007

I'm going to be brutally honest in the next paragraph:

Because I don't have a pressing need for one, I was going to wait on buying a 35S until after next month's HHC2007 to see if I would end up with a freebie 35S from HP. At two of the three previous HHC's I've attended, HP gave attendees free calculators (the original 49G in 1999, and 25th. Anniversary 12CP at last year's conference).

But now, with today's withdrawal of the 35S, I noticed HP Shopping, Samson Cables, and Buy.com are Out-of-Stock. Amazon.com doesn't list the 35S either (don't know if they ever did).

So I just decided to take my chances, and ordered one from Walmart.com while they are still In Stock.

Am I shallow (greedy, presumptuous) or what? Take your pick :-)

Matt

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - bill platt - 08-02-2007

Ha, you just spoke Engdeutch without realizing it:

oder = or.

You should see what happens when I write German. :-)

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Matt - 08-02-2007

Quote:
Interesting. It would be nice if somebody would post a photo of one of the defective 35s's.

here
or here
how about these?

Maybe they were supposed to put "Celebrating 35 Years" on all of them?

Edited: 2 Aug 2007, 2:25 p.m.

HP35s red dot for sale - Nenad (Croatia) - 08-02-2007

Yet have to see yet where the "red dot" is located (when HP announces this) and then she goes for $1500.

Second thought: this is the first one that crossed Croatian border, no cosmetic flaws, perfectly aligned LCD display, only a minor flaw: slightly slanted serial number label (but due to the lack of P-R conversions cannot calculate the actual slant angle). She goes for $15000 (minus 5% for the mentioned flaw).

Third thought: I am an HP calculator addict, so I will not part with her at any price.

End of story.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - BruceH - 08-02-2007

"... minor design flaw on the faceplate..."

Perhaps HP have just realised they forgot to put the words "Anniversary Edition" on it?

;-)

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Katie Wasserman - 08-02-2007

Quote:
Perhaps HP have just realized they forgot to put the words "Anniversary Edition" on it?

Maybe they'll do exactly that when they fix the alignment problem. If HP's statement of "a small percentage" of calculators being affected is true it can't just be the missing words. This would, of course, make the existing non-anniversary labeled calculators quite rare and 35 years from now they'll be selling for zillions on ebay! :)

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Ron G. - 08-02-2007

I wouldn't consider that a "design flaw on the faceplate," unless there are some unseen guides that are causing the misalignment. Even so, I have no better idea of what it might be.

Ha ha ha.

Seriously, mine will be a working machine. I suppose that'll make me just a collector of broken/worn-out calculators!

Re: HP35s red dot for sale - Gerson W. Barbosa - 08-02-2007

Quote:
Second thought: this is the first one that crossed Croatian border, no cosmetic flaws, perfectly aligned LCD display, only a minor flaw: slightly slanted serial number label

Same here: ordered at Samsons Cables on Jul/15 and picked up on Jul/27 (S/N 72102369). Not so sure about it being the first one to arrive here. Anyway the USPS tracking service informs:

We attempted to deliver your item in BRAZIL at 3:33 PM on July 26, 2007.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Jeff O. - 08-02-2007

Quote:
So I just decided to take my chances, and ordered one from Walmart.com while they are still In Stock.

I briefly considered doing the same, but restrained myself. One "collectable" unit ought to be enough, plus I'm still a little honked off that Walmart raised their price $10 to capitalize on the early demand.
Quote:
Am I shallow (greedy, presumptuous) or what? Take your pick :-)

No, just hopeful, I'd say. HP set the precedent, after all. Actually I figured they'd had out ones with the "Celebrating 35 Years" written on them to the HHC attendees.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Karl Schneider - 08-02-2007

Hi, Matt --

Quote:
Because I don't have a pressing need for one, I was going to wait on buying a 35S until after next month's HHC2007 to see if I would end up with a freebie 35S from HP.

I considered that approach, too, but wanted to have one so that I could prepare feedback in time for the HHC conference.

On Tuesday, I checked with local retailers, who didn't know when they'd be getting them on their shelves. So, I ordered one directly from HP with two-day shipping, and received it today via Federal Express (FedEx), on my doorstep while I was gone.

The timing may have been fortuitous. I guess Tuesday was the last day to get one from HP!

Mine has no conspicuous cosmetic flaws; the display is only very slightly misaligned.

-- KS

Walmart's Interactive 35S Image - Matt Kernal - 08-02-2007

Quote:
I'm still a little honked off that Walmart raised their price $10 to capitalize on the early demand.

I didn't realize that! >:-(

While squeezing HP for the lowest possible wholesale prices (as they do to all their suppliers - or so the legend goes), I assume they paid somebody for this zoomable, panable image of the 35S. I don't see any cosmetic flaws in this picture.

But certainly not worth the extra $10 surcharge/price-of-admission.

If Walmart pulls the 35S before I get mine (maybe they already have - but their web designers haven't got the word yet), I'm no worse off than before I placed the order. Actually, I am worse off - now they have my personal/financial info.. the *#@$?%'s!

In reality, I hope the *real* reason for HP pulling the 35S is to fix some software issues, with the anniversary silkscreening reason being a convenient cover to buy some time for bug extermination.

Still shallow,

Matt

p.s. Walmart's image reminds me of something.. did Gene ever come clean on that 35S emulator he's using?

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Matt Kernal - 08-02-2007

Karl,

Can we presume a full, thorough report on your new 35S is forthcoming (or whenever you can get around to it :-)

I still think it's to straighten out the crooked displays a few of us here have said that they got. And, they said theirs were noticeably crooked; mine is only very slightly so, that if it never got mentioned, I might not have really noticed for a couple of years or so.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - John Nguyen - 08-02-2007

Quote:
Maybe they were supposed to put "Celebrating 35 Years" on all of them?

I tend to lean towards this logic. I think it definitely qualifies as a "minor design flaw on the faceplate" although I would've left out the word "design." I'm not sure about the display alignment problem people mentioned in the other posts as the HP of today would not be that quick or responsive to fix such a problem even if it exists. For one thing, there aren't enough units in the hands of users yet and you know they wouldn't do anything unless there's a large outcry about it. Think "early HP-49g+'s keyboard."

I think they were shipping the early units without this "all-important" phrase. Mine doesn't have it (I got it last week). It would be like shipping the 25th Anniversary version of the HP-12C without the "25th Anniversary Edition" phrase painted on the faceplate.

Another thing, on the back of the 35s it said "Product of China" in English. All the other languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese) roughly translated to "Made in China". I don't know if this has to do with anything. I'm no linguist or semanticist but I think there's a difference between something being a "product of" a country and "made in" a country.

John

Edited: 2 Aug 2007, 11:49 p.m.

Re: HP35s red dot for sale - Howard Owen - 08-03-2007

Quote:
.. only a minor flaw: slightly slanted serial number label (but due to the lack of P-R conversions cannot calculate the actual slant angle).

That's a major flaw!

Quote:
..She goes for $15000 (minus 5% for the mentioned flaw).

Given the severity of the flaw itself, I think you should demand a full-price refund from HP.

Or else maybe you could bargain for a server or three. 8)

Regards,
Howard

Future "report" on HP35S - Karl Schneider - 08-03-2007

Matt Kernal posted,

Quote:
Can we presume a full, thorough report on your new 35S is forthcoming (or whenever you can get around to it :-)

I suspect that I'll prepare some detailed material and suggestions that mainly focuses on the troublesome complex-number and base-number functionality, and transmit that information to HP personnel (hopefully with discussion) at the HHC conference.

-- KS

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Dia C. Tran - 08-03-2007

I am no linguist either but may be because the 35s was designed and made in China thus it's a product of China?

Re: HP35s red dot for sale - Ron G. - 08-03-2007

I just painted a red dot on mine. It's now worth millions [:^)

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - Vincze - 08-03-2007

Quote:
Another thing, on the back of the 35s it said "Product of China" in English. All the other languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese) roughly translated to "Made in China".

That it!! They forgot to put "Termék -ból Kína" or Product of China in Hungarian. Ok... maybe that not it, but it was worth a snot.

Edited: 3 Aug 2007, 10:49 a.m.

Now, any halfway-decent conspiracy theorist might suggest . . . - Paul Brogger - 08-03-2007

. . . that, in an attempt to reestablish H-P's quality cache` of yore, their marketeers deliberately introduced some problem units, and then issued a recall before such would be too costly.

Results: A couple of weeks' interruption in sales; mostly-positive publicity about H-P's "return to quality"; and minimal risk of actual returns from the maniacal early adopters.

(But it's probably just a problem with their Chinese supplier. Anyhow, I gotta keep those conspiracy-formulation muscles toned up & ready for action!)

Edited: 3 Aug 2007, 10:50 a.m.

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S - ECL - 08-03-2007

I just ordered one from walmart (8/3/07), hope to squeak that one by before the notice HP tapping on their shoulder!

I would've done it last night at home, but didn't know the shipping addy at work...doh!

So much for my hopes of waltzing into Fry's and spying one on the shelves anytime soon :)

Post-Recall purchase of 35S has been "Shipped" - Matt Kernal - 08-03-2007

Quote:

I am quite pleased to see that the Status of my Walmart order has changed from "Processing" to "Shipped". The UPS tracking information shows that it departed from Cerritos CA at 11:18 last night, with scheduled delivery to Beaverton OR on Tuesday, August 7. Thanks Wally!

If any cares, the 35S availability continues to be In Stock.
Costs are: $59.98_calculator <ENTER> $6.97_shipping + $66.95_total

Matt

Re: HP35s red dot for sale - Thomas Radtke - 08-03-2007

Quote:
[...](but due to the lack of P-R conversions cannot calculate the actual slant angle).
x [ENTER] y i + [DISPLAY] . 0

:^)

Re: HP withdrawing HP35S (R<>P) - Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina) - 08-04-2007

That's why they put an otherwise unneeded "Scientific Calculator" announcement at the top of the body. No classic calculator needed it, the presence of keys like SIN-COS-TAN, LOG, e^x were more than enough indication for any prospective user/buyer...