HP Forums
Magnetic Cards/Strips - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Magnetic Cards/Strips (/thread-119183.html)

Magnetic Cards/Strips - Kostas Kritsilas - 07-25-2007

Hi,

I own two HP-97 calculators, and one HP-67. They all currently have the "gummy wheel" problem, which will be fixed shortly. My question concerns the magnetic strips/cards used in the various HP calulators, specifically, the HP-65, the HP-67/97, and the card reader on the HP 41 C/CV/CX.

1. Are the raw cards themselves the same? i.e. can the same card type be written and read on all the calculators, and by this I mean is there a difference in the heads/magnetic surface that the card readers in each of the calculators are designed for, or is there only one card type that is usable for all 3 machines/card readers?

2. I have read that the HP-67/97 cards can be read by the HP-41 card reader, and the HP-67/97 programs are translated in the card reader to allow them to be executed by the HP-41. Is this correct? Can the HP41 write onto the magnetic cards/strips that are readable or executable on the HP-67/97 (I am suspecting no, but would like confirmation)?

3. Can the HP-67/97 read or execute HP-65 programs? The recording density of the HP 67 is much greater, so I am assuming that the HP-65 cannot read the HP-67/97s cards.

Kostas

Re: Magnetic Cards/Strips - Les Wright - 07-25-2007

Quote:
1. Are the raw cards themselves the same? i.e. can the same card type be written and read on all the calculators, and by this I mean is there a difference in the heads/magnetic surface that the card readers in each of the calculators are designed for, or is there only one card type that is usable for all 3 machines/card readers?

The same cards are usable in the 65, 67/97, and 41 series.

Quote:
2. I have read that the HP-67/97 cards can be read by the HP-41 card reader, and the HP-67/97 programs are translated in the card reader to allow them to be executed by the HP-41. Is this correct? Can the HP41 write onto the magnetic cards/strips that are readable or executable on the HP-67/97 (I am suspecting no, but would like confirmation)?

Correct on both counts. 67/97 programs can be read and executed on the 41 series with the card reader installed (the module contains routines like 7ISZ, etc, that replicate 67/97 commands). But not the other way.

Quote:
3. Can the HP-67/97 read or execute HP-65 programs? The recording density of the HP 67 is much greater, so I am assuming that the HP-65 cannot read the HP-67/97s cards.

Correct again.

Les

Re: Magnetic Cards/Strips - Tony Duell - 07-25-2007

A minor correction to (2). Although the HP41 with card reader will read HP67/97 cards, and contains the 'compatibility functions', there are a few featurs of the HP67 which are _not_ available on the HP41+card reader

The main one is 'rapid reverse branching'. That does not work at all on the HP41 (I think it gives a NONEXISTANT error).

IIRC, there's a section of the HP41 card reader manual which gives the (few) changes needed to the HP67 application Pacs to get them to run correctly on the HP41. But of course for other programs (including the solution books), you are on your own.