HP Forums
Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? (/thread-107040.html)

Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Antonio Maschio (Italy) - 02-01-2007

I do.

-- Antonio

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Geir Isene - 02-01-2007

I have three starting pages. This forum is one of them :)

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Jeff B - 02-01-2007

Yes, 1 of my 3 starting pages is this forum.

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Massimo Gnerucci (Italy) - 02-01-2007

Of course, this is one of my 14 tabs...

Massimo

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Walter B - 02-01-2007

It is one of my tabs, too. Well, not the MoHPC home page but the Daily Forum View! d:-)

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Maximilian Hohmann - 02-01-2007

Hello!

No, it isn't. But it is among my "Personal Toolbar" items, as Firefox calls them, between eBay, a german astronomy forum and pprune.org.
My starting page is one of my own domains, so at least it gets one hit per day :-)

Greetings, Max

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Howard Owen - 02-01-2007

For recreational browsing, I maintain a SiteBar server with all my bookmarks. There are over 500 of these, ruthlessly culled from many more. This forum is one of five I normally open when I start Firefox. The others are

1. Groklaw

2. Google News

3. TAS

4. TOS (no link, very much regrettably.

5. An internal site with content from my various interests.

Regards,
Howard

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Les Bell - 02-01-2007

Of course; I have four tabs for my home page:

1. Our intranet home page - various RSS feeds and useful links
  2. The local news paper front page - http://www.smh.com.au
  3. hpmuseum.org
  4. http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html - is to Fender guitars and instruments as hpmuseum is to HP calcs

Best,

--- Les

[http://www.lesbell.com.au]

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Thomas Okken - 02-01-2007

No. My starting page is the only one that loads fast enough for my taste: about:blank.

I don't even have the Museum among my bookmarks, but all I have to do is type "h" into the URL field and there it is, at the top of the recently-used list. :-)

- Thomas

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Miki Mihajlovic - 02-02-2007

This is my one and only startup page at home and work.

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Antonio Maschio (Italy) - 02-02-2007

Ditto.

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Valentin Albillo - 02-02-2007

No. At home, I do have Google as starting page, as it perfectly fits the optimum balance between fast loading (instantaneous) and usefulness.

And at work, being the professional I am, I don't navigate to sites like this while working. I'm paid to give my 100% at work, not to cheat my company and customers by indulging in personal hobbies in the time they've paid for.

Best regards from V.

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - HrastProgrammer - 02-02-2007

No.

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Jose Goncalves - 02-02-2007

Yes. It´s a must !

Nomination - Anonymous Coward - 02-02-2007

I hereby nominate Valentin for the World Prize for Hollow Self-Righteousness, because of looking as though he had swallowed a broomstick, and were having problems to digest it.

Re: Nomination - Valentin Albillo - 02-02-2007

You don't know the idiom "tongue in cheek", do you ?

Best regards from V.

Re: Nomination - Howard Owen - 02-03-2007

Sounds like he might be more familiar with "foot in mouth." 8)

Regards,
Howard

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Marcus von Cube, Germany - 02-03-2007

Almost the same for me: My FireFox personal tool bar has an entry that points to the daily view. My browser starting page is empty.

Re: Nomination (mind your words!) - Walter B - 02-03-2007

Howard,

usually I appreciate your posts. But that is exceeding the limit! IMHO in this forum shall be no space for the language of Guantanamo. I hope you did write faster than you thought. Please delete your post - I will delete mine then, too, and forget that matter.

Regards, Walter

Re: Nomination (mind your words!) - Howard Owen - 02-03-2007

??

Perhaps I was unclear, Walter. By "he" I was referring to the anonymous poster, who without taking responsibility for his words by identifying himself, let fly at one of our senior members with a gratuitous insult. I intended to suggest that this poster, not Valentin, had his "foot in mouth."

Or are you complaining about the idiom? Where I come from, that just means you've said something stupid. There's nothing obscene about it. (The British pressure group Plain English Campaign gives a "Foot in Mouth" award every year. In 2003, it went to Donald Rumsfeld. I doubt therefore that there's anything "Guantanamo" related to the term. 8)

Regards,
Howard

Edited: 3 Feb 2007, 4:15 p.m.

Re: Nomination (mind your words!) - Walter B - 02-03-2007

Fully agree with your opinion about the attack on Valentin. Though it may be seen as provoked by a text which obviously could be understood as it was written. This is an experimental fact.

While the anonymous response still carries some humour IMO, though anonymous, my immediate impression reading your reaction was that the foot belonged to another person than the mouth! So much about pictures and their connotations!

Not every member of this international (!) forum may be an expert in the English idioms fashionable in a particular environment in the USA at the very moment, so there is a broad way to different understanding. The use of ironic or "tongue in cheek" expressions in such a worldwide forum requires a very solid common culture, or a signal like ;-) or it shall be checked carefully.

Re: Nomination (mind your words!) - bill platt - 02-03-2007

Hey Walter,

But we like wordplay around here almost as much as numbers. The more arcane the better! It's a great chance for the "internationals" to learn a few new English tricks.

(One of the delights of this forum is not merely the international aspect, but the extraordinarily well-spoken non-native speakers. Even those who obsequiously self-deprecate on account of their "poor english" are in fact lucid writers who are a real pleasure to read. God knows how fractured I am in French or German. It is one of my very most favorite forums in the whole world on account of this international aspect. In some ways it is ham radio only even better.)

Nevertheless I agree that it is good to be thoughtful of the audience where possible. (But "foot in mouth" was just too good to pass up on this one! And it really is a standard English idiom, not merely Amerikanisch.)

Edited: 3 Feb 2007, 5:53 p.m.

Re: Nomination (mind your words!) - Howard Owen - 02-03-2007

Quote:

While the anonymous response still carries some humour IMO, though anonymous, my immediate impression reading your reaction was that the foot belonged to another person than the mouth! So much about pictures and their connotations!

Ah yes. I see. No, I wasn't suggesting anyone get "kicked in the teeth." (Another idiom, alas. 8)

Quote:
The use of ironic or "tongue in cheek" expressions in such a worldwide forum requires a very solid common culture, or a signal like ;-) or it shall be checked carefully.

Oh, you didn't get my smiley? I use "8)" most of the time to indicate humor, and I did so in the parent post. Unfortunately, "emoticons" like that are even less standardized than English, having only been in existence for 25 years or so. The first smiley I ever saw was "8-)", closely followed by the one you present, the "winking" smiley, ";-)". But there are hundreds of variations, of course. I've always preferred "8)" because I'm lazy. It saves me one character per grin when typing!

Happily, we get to build that "very solid common culture" ourselves. It can be a trial, but just as often a delight. I'll try to be clearer in my expressions, but not at the expense of the economy required by humor. 8)

Regards,
Howard

Re: Nomination - Valentin Albillo - 02-03-2007

Hi, Howard:

Thanks for your words, Howard, I take them as light humor and very appropriate in this case, methinks.

Apparently, the person who posted the allegedly deprecatory "nomination" doesn't know me well, nor has taken care to actually follow my post habits, because if she did, she would have noticed that I post at every time of the day, be it day or night, at home or at work, on each and every topic which either is of my interest or else I can be of any help.

Matter of fact, I did write an script which monitors the daily view forum's page for changes, and as soon as one is detected, it conveniently and unobstrusively lets me know, so that I can check it out to read the new messages and act if necessary. This beats having this as my starting page hands down ! :-)

So much for my "hollow self-righteousness". Frankly, I don't know why I bother to reply to anonymous cowards when I stated that I would never "talk" to unpolite, unidentified persons. My bad.

Anyway, as we say in Spanish, "No ofende quien quiere sino quien puede" ("They only offend those who can, not those who want to"). So no offence taken.

Best regards from V.

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - htom - 02-04-2007

No. It's in my primary bookmark list, though.

Homepage is the Astronomy Picture of the Day (warning, the archives are addictive.)

Re: Survey: Do you have HPMuseum Site as your Browser starting page? - Antonio Maschio (Italy) - 02-05-2007

A very good site, pal.

-- Antonio

Re: Nomination (mind your words!) / Emoticons - Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina) - 02-05-2007

a) From many years on, hpmuseum.org has been my homepage or one of the "hometabs".

b) On emoticons, I have been a subscriber to the CoSy-based BIX (Byte Information eXchange) around 1986. The first emoticons I saw there were horizontal rather than vertically-oriented, as most are now. For instance, there were:

(o.o)
(O.O)
[o.o]
<o.o>
(o.-)
(o,o)
(^.^)
(\./)
(#.o)

and many others; I admit I'm not sure about the paticular meaning of each combination, but there were "standards" for happy, angry, surprised, joking, bored, etc.

The first smiley - was: Nomination (mind your words!) / Emoticons - PeterP - 02-05-2007

The first emoticon - a smiley - was suggested on Sept. 19, 1982, by Scott E. Fahlman.

"I propose that the following character sequence for joke markers: :-)," wrote Fahlman at the time. "Read it sideways. Actually, it is probably more economical to mark things that are NOT jokes, given current trends. For this, use :-(."

in a post to the Carnegie Mellon Bulletin board. See here for the full story of this recent re-discovery.

Cheers

Peter