HP Forums
Large HP-12 Display Digits in Ebay Photo - Printable Version

+- HP Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum)
+-- Forum: HP Museum Forums (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Old HP Forum Archives (https://archived.hpcalc.org/museumforum/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Large HP-12 Display Digits in Ebay Photo (/thread-100703.html)

Large HP-12 Display Digits in Ebay Photo - Bill (Smithville, NJ) - 10-07-2006

Please see the photo in the following E-bay auction for a HP-12C.

HP-12C with large display Digits

These digits fill the entire height of the display. All of my HP-12C's leave space at the bottom for the annunciators. But then I don't have all the various models.

Is this a fake display or are there really 12C's with larger digits? If so, which model?

Thanks,

Bill

Re: Large HP-12 Display Digits in Ebay Photo - Namir - 10-07-2006

The picture in the auction feels edited to me. I have never see any version of the HP12C with digits that size.

Namir

Re: Large HP-12 Display Digits in Ebay Photo - Vieira, Luiz C. (Brazil) - 10-07-2006

Hi, Bill;

I'd go for a fake display. Besides, the '7' in the HP12C has no 'f' segment lit. Looks like the seller does not want buyers to see the real calc.

Shame on him...

Luiz (Brazil)

Re: Large HP-12 Display Digits in Ebay Photo - Gene - 10-07-2006

Yep, I vote for "no such animal".

If I believe it's real, you'll know when you see me bidding on it. :-)

Re: Large HP-12 Display Digits in Ebay Photo - Namir - 10-07-2006

Gene,

You have seen all of teh variants of the HP12C. You say it's bogus ... IT'S BOGUS!!!

Namir

Re: Large HP-12 Display Digits in Ebay Photo - Bill (Smithville, NJ) - 10-07-2006

Thanks to all,

I was pretty sure it was a doctored photo, but I guess a part of me wanted a large digit display. Older eyesight and all.

I also noticed that there was no decimal point. I don't think you can get that display of numbers without also having a decimal point.

Now why would anyone go to the trouble of creating a fake display? Especially for a common HP-12C. There's plenty of stock photos that could be used.

Bill

Something I do wish I could find... - Gene - 10-07-2006

is an HP9s in this color scheme:

The one I have has a white background with blue shifted functions. This one would be an interesting variant, but the only place I've ever seen it is in Ebay auction pictures. I don't think the actual machine exists that looks like this.

Gene

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - Andrés C. Rodríguez (Argentina) - 10-07-2006

Well, if the 9S accepts the kind of overlays available for the 30S, such view will be rather normal. The 30S comes with a violet overlay, a translucent one and also a gray one; and the 9S/G seems to have the same body.

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - Ronald - 10-07-2006

Hi,

I asked the seller and this was his answer:

"hi, sorry about the pic, it's a stock picture. I couldn't get mine to download. Actually the button are not that big".

Ronald

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - Namir - 10-07-2006

Looking at the link (in first message) again, I see now a different picture!!!!!!!!!!

Namir

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - Antonio Maschio (Italy) - 10-08-2006

Yes, I was wondering what the first poster did see, indeed!!

-- Antonio

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - Bill (Smithville, NJ) - 10-08-2006

Hi Antonio,

Quote:
Yes, I was wondering what the first poster did see, indeed!!

I just went thru my internet cache files and found the JPG photo. I could e-mail you the original photo. You'll found the display most interesting. And, take a look at the "7" character - he didn't quite get it right.

Bill

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - bill platt - 10-09-2006

stick the photo up on tinypic.com and you can post the link here:-)

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - Bill (Smithville, NJ) - 10-09-2006

Thanks Bill.

Here's the original:

Note: No thousands separator, no period, and the
Digit 7 is wrong. Obviously a created display.

Bill

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - bill platt - 10-09-2006

LOL.

That is pretty smooth. Someone who didn't know the real deal could be fooled.

So much for photos, right?

Re: Something I do wish I could find... - Marcus von Cube, Germany - 10-09-2006

Thanks for the nice picture :-)

At that digit size, a 10 digit number plus optional sign would never fit the display.

Marcus