HP Forums

Full Version: Re: A drowned calculator
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Acid + sugar = major damage to our HP calcs!! The acid comes from phosphoric acid, by the way. (I clean pools for a living, so I know my pool chemicals) Keep all those drinks away, especially coffee, long island iced teas, margaritas, martinis (my fav!), beer, etc. Just a word of advice for all youse guys! Your pal, Frank.

Many years ago when the company I was working for had several hundred HP150's, there was the occasional problem with Coke. The first time somebody spilt Coke in thier keyboard (these cost around $600 at the time - yep, just the keyboard!) it was carefully lft to dry, then packaged and sent to Hewlett Packard. It was a lost cause. Their recommendation (which was initially taken as a joke) was to quickly take the keyboard and flush it with as much water as possible and then let it dry in a warm place. This worked fine for the next 2 or 3 cases, until someone spilt orange juice on their keyboard. The little bits of orange in the juice couldn't be flushed out once they had gotten into the keys.

My CX was drown and died back in 1986. It sat till this year and then I said, "What to hell" and inundated the keyboard with silicone spray after a bath in alcohol. It started right up after all this time. Has a couple of harder than normal keys but I love it. I have put my cv back on the shelf.