HP Forums

Full Version: HP32sii, espresso, and cats--close call!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

My newly acquired and very pristine 32sii just missed getting baptised with a couple of ounces of espresso, tipped over by one of our many kittens. I like my coffee sweet, so this could've been a gooey disaster.

My Palm TX took the hit, though. I frantically subjected it to an isopropanol bath, and in a few hours it powered up fine and all functions seem intact. The display is a bit dark and uneven, though, and I expect that it will take a while for the alcohol that got in between the layers to dry out. But the touch screen feature is fine.

Close call. Kids, don't try this at home.



Close call...

Lucky you! I did a similar thing to my trustworthy Apple Titanium PowerBook a few weeks ago, without the aid of any animal and with pure mineral water!, but I was less fortunate: Although I unplugged the charger immediately, removed the battery, unscrewed the bottom cover and let it dry in the sun for a few days, it wouldn't power up again :-(

Now I sent it to a guy who promises to repair it with refurbished parts for a fixed sum of 250 Euros - but I will only believe this when I get it back - Apple charges 900 Euros for the replacement of the main board alone...

And the HP-71 that was on my desk next to the PowerBook didn't receive a single drop of the spilled water - I still don't know if I would have preferred to drown this calculator instead of the Apple...

Greetings, Max

Kids, don't try this at home.

My kid left her Nokia mobile phone in her pocket and put it in the wash. We did not know this until we heard it banging around in the dryer. I removed it from the dryer, completely disassembled it, let it dry for 24 hours, and then reassembled it.

It worked! And, it was squeaky clean. Sadly, she lost the phone at school the next day.

When I was growing up, we never took our cats to the vet, except for rabies shots. We finally had a cat that was pretty sick, so we took her in. The day after she got home from the vet's, she got hit and killed by a car.